Remember that old feminist saying (originated by Irina Dunn) that a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle?
Well, given that the Sarasota employment market is so tough, those of us searching for a job need ridiculous interview questions thrown at us as much as …. well, you get the point. With so much “riding” on a 30 minute conversation, then, it is deflating to be faced with questions that are, well, just plain stupid. And even more distressing is that the person asking the question is serious. They want an answer.
So here are some of the most memorable ones I’ve experienced or heard about as people search for a job in Sarasota (followed by a variety of imagined responses).
(1) Is this your dream job?
- Yes, I was hoping to earn 70% less and lose most of my benefits;
- Of course. I have nothing else to do on weekends and I even look forward to spending every holiday working here;
- Right on. Until I’m appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court, this IS my dream job.
(2) Which day of the week do you bring your best to work?
- Tuesday. Monday I’m recovering from the weekend; Tuesday I’m back to normal; Wednesday I’m tired; Thursday I’m recovering from Hump Night; Friday I’m busy making plans for the weekend, so yes, definitely Tuesday.
- Sorry, but I leave my best at home.
- I bring my best every day (isn’t this answer obvious?)